MSIG takes your privacy very seriously. To ensure your personal information is secure, we communicate and enforce our privacy and security guidelines according to the relevant laws and regulations. MSIG takes precautions to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft, and misuse, as well as against unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Furthermore, we will not sell your personal information to anyone for any purposes. MSIG imposes very strict sanction control and only authorised staff on a need-to-know basis are given access to or will handle your personal data, and we provide regular training to our staff to keep them abreast of any new developments in privacy laws and regulations.
Personal Information Collection Statement
Personal information is data that can be used to uniquely identify or contact a single person. As our customers, it is necessary from time to time for you to supply us with your personal data in relation to the general insurance services and products (“the Product”) that we provide to you and in order for us to deliver and improve the customer service. This includes but is not limited to the personal data contained in the proposal form or in any documents in relation to the Product or any claim made under the Product.
Your personal data may be used for obligatory purposes or voluntary purposes. If personal data are to be used for an obligatory purpose, you MUST provide your personal data to MSIG if you want MSIG to provide the Product. Failure to supply such data for obligatory purposes may result in MSIG being unable to provide the Product.
The obligatory purposes for which your personal data may be used are as follows:
- processing and evaluating your insurance application and any future insurance application you may make;
- our daily operation and administration of the services and facilities in relation to the Product provided to you;
- variation, cancellation or renewal of the Product;
- invoicing and collecting premiums and outstanding amounts from you;
- assessing and processing claims in relation to the Product and any subsequent legal proceedings;
- exercising any right of subrogation by us;
- contacting you for any of the above purposes;
- other ancillary purposes which are directly related to the above purposes;
- complying with applicable laws, regulations or any industry codes or guideline; and
- detecting and preventing fraud (whether or not relating to the policy issued in respect of this application).
The voluntary purposes for which your personal data may be used are any sales, marketing, promotion of other general insurance services and products provided by MSIG. The personal data we intend to use for voluntary purposes are your name, your address, your phone number and email address.
If you do not wish MSIG to use your personal data for the voluntary purposes listed above, you may notify us by writing to our Data Protection Officer at 9/F Cityplaza One, 1111 King’s Road, Taikoo Shing, Hong Kong (for Hong Kong customers) or at Avenida Da Praia Grande No. 693, Edif Tai Wah 13 Andar A&B, Macau (for Macau customers). You may also notify us by filling in the General enquiry form. In your notification, you must identify yourself by providing us with your full name, HK / Macau ID number, contact number, together with your policy / certificate / acknowledgement number if you have one. (NOTE: The instruction will override all previous instructions relating to direct marketing that have been given to MSIG.)
In connection with any of the above purposes, the personal data that we have collected might be transferred to:
- third party agents, contractors and advisors who provide administrative, communications, computer, payment, security or other services which assist us to carry out the above purposes (including medical service providers, emergency assistance service providers, telemarketers, mailing houses, IT service providers and data processors);
- in the event of a claim, loss adjudicators, claims investigators and medical advisors;
- reinsurers and reinsurance brokers;
- your insurance broker;
- our legal and professional advisors;
- our related companies as defined in the Companies Ordinance;
- the Hong Kong Federation of Insurers (or any similar association of insurance companies) and its members;
- the Insurance Complaints Bureau and similar industry bodies;
- government agencies and authorities as required or permitted by law;
- fraud prevention organizations;
- other insurance companies (whether directly or through fraud prevention organization or other persons named in this paragraph);
- the police; and
- databases or registers (and their operators) used by the insurance industry to analyse and check information provided against existing information.
In order to confirm the accuracy of your personal data, you agree to provide us with authorisation to access and verify any of your personal data with the information collected by any federation of insurance companies from the insurance industry.
Under the relevant laws and regulations, you have the right to request access to and correction of your personal data held by us. If you wish to exercise these rights, please write to our Data Protection Officer at 9/F Cityplaza One, 1111 King’s Road, Taikoo Shing, Hong Kong (for Hong Kong customers) or at Avenida Da Praia Grande No. 693, Edif Tai Wah 13 Andar A&B, Macau (for Macau customers).
If you have any enquiries or require assistance with this Personal Information Collection Statement, please call us at (852) 3122 6922 (Hong Kong) / (853) 2892 3329 (Macau).